April 28, 2014 – StoreDot is an Israeli company that may have the most disruptive storage technology to enter the market in the last two decades. It is the development of biological semiconductors that are quick charging. Known as quantum dots, the technology is made from peptides, amino acids that are the building blocks of proteins.
The company has figured out how to manipulate these peptides to make them hold a charge. That makes them perfect for batteries. And because the quantum dots are crystalline they are resilient in handling repeated charge cycles something that today’s lithium-ion batteries are not.
That’s why you have to watch the video of StoreDot recharging a Samsung smartphone. It will blow you away.
And StoreDot is just getting started applying nanodots to products.
- The company is working with designers of displays to make them 80% more energy-efficient while producing brighter images and colors and greater flexibility in form factor. With StoreDot technology screens can bend.
- Nanodots are proving their value in flash memory, working three times faster than existing data storage technology.
- They are five times more sensitive than current technologies used in image sensors.
- They are organic and therefore can be used in bio-medicine to deliver drugs across the blood-brain barrier.
- They can be used as bio-markers to report back on body functions and can be used as a diagnostic tool spotting the early onset of diseases.